Home Downsizing Services
When should you consider downsizing?
People downsize for many reasons, sometimes multiple times in their lives — when your kids move out, for example, or when you decide you don’t want to maintain a large house and yard. Other reasons for downsizing can include a change in physical or mental health, the desire to simplify and pare down your lifestyle, a preference to move closer to friends or family, socialization, and the costs involved in maintaining a larger house.
Downsizing, also called “Rightsizing”, can be a daunting and overwhelming task. It can be challenging to make all the decisions involved with downsizing, or even determine what decisions need to be made. It is important to think about downsizing early so you have as much time as you need to go through items and make appropriate decisions. Leaving it too late can result in feeling stressed and rushed to make choices while your move date looms, and can lead to long-term dissatisfaction and regret about the choices you made.
Trust our experts!
Downsizing can be an overwhelming experience. We know that there are often years of memories to sort through, especially if you’ve lived in the same house for a long time! Darling Solutions understands that every situation is unique, and we can provide advice, guidance, and emotional support throughout the entire process.
With Darling Solutions’ expertise, we will strive to ensure your transition will be a smooth process that is handled professionally and on time. We understand the complexities of a transition and the details involved. Let us worry about the attic, the garage, and all those storage areas!
- Set up a complimentary, in-home consultation to discuss your situation and needs. We’ll meet you so that you can give us a tour of your house, and talk about your goals and timeline. At the end of the consultation, we’ll provide you with a detailed service proposal which includes our estimate for the proposed services.
- If an in-home consultation is not possible, we will create a service proposal based on the information you are able to provide. For the most accurate estimate possible, we always suggest that you send photos of the items to be packed and/ or moved when possible; if circumstances do not allow photos, a detailed list is also appreciated.
- Establish dates and timelines for your move.
- Plan and orchestrate the entire move, including reserving elevators at each end.
- Email you a detailed move plan, including dates and times, so that you have all the information you need written down in one place. We can send it to your family too, if you wish!
- Prepare a floor plan of your new home, to help determine what can fit in your new home. We can try to mimic your current layout, or create something fresh for your new space.
- Work with you to determine what you should bring to your new home, starting with the most practical items and working to incorporate anything with special meaning.
- Professional, in-house packing services for your move, including delivery of supplies and a final pack on moving day if needed.
- Our in-house, professional movers to wrap and protect your furniture before bringing it to your new home. Our trucks come prepared with all needed supplies including moving blankets, stretch wrap, runners, picture and wardrobe boxes, tools for disassembly and reassembly of furniture, and more!
- Plug in lamps, telephone, electronics, and set clocks to the current time.
- Unpack and set up of your new home, including furniture arrangement, hanging pictures and making the bed. It will feel like home when you arrive!
- Assist with the remaining contents of your house if required
- Refer and coordinate services as needed, including reputable real estate agents, contractors, and auctioneers or home content sale specialists.
- Sort, pack, and disperse items for family and friends, storage, sale, donation, shredding, recycling, disposal, and hazardous or e-waste.
- Assist in preparing the home for market, including staging (with your remaining furniture, or bringing in select pieces), and cleaning.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between moving and transition services?
Moving services are pretty much what you’d expect them to be – our team comes in to wrap and protect your furniture, safely transports it to your new home, and then places it under your direction.
Transition services are more involved – our team can help with a wide variety of services, depending on your needs. Transitions typically involve packing and sorting before your move, moving services, and then an unpack and set up so that your new home is ready to be lived in!
Does Darling Solutions provide storage?
Darling Solutions can, in select cases (based upon availability at our warehouse), provide storage on a short-term basis for our clients. We are not able to offer access to content stored at our warehouse; should you require access at-will, we would be pleased to refer you to another storage solution.
Should our storage not be available, or if you prefer an option that allows access to your stored items at-will, we can provide a referral to another storage company; this referral will give you a discount on your first month’s rent with them!